MARITIME & MARINE
ATTORNEYS IN HOUSTON, TX
Just like on land, accidents occur at sea. According to recent statistics from the United States Coast Guard Auxiliary, there were over 4,000 recreational boating accidents in 2019 alone. These accidents caused over 2,500 injuries and 600 deaths. Being injured or losing your merchandise at sea can be an extremely challenging experience that most are not prepared for. Thankfully, marine insurance claims are designed to cover risks to individuals, goods, and vessels on the water, including injuries, damages, losses, or death.
If you are considering a claim with your marine insurance, you should consult with an experienced Texas insurance coverage attorney for reliable legal guidance. McLaurin Law is dedicated to offering outstanding legal services and compassionate representation to clients dealing with maritime and marine insurance claims. Attorney Jason McLaurin will fight vigorously to protect your legal rights and help you pursue rightful compensation for your injuries, damages, or losses suffered while at sea.
McLaurin Law proudly serves clients across Houston, Texas, and the surrounding areas of Sugar Land, Baytown, Katy, and Pearland, Texas — so call today to schedule your own free case evaluation.
COMMON MARITIME & MARINE INSURANCE CLAIMS
Marine insurance is a type of insurance policy that covers injuries, deaths, cargo losses, and other damages to ships, cargo vessels, and terminals. Some common incidents that may result in maritime and marine insurance claims include:
- Weather incidents, such as high winds, torrential rain, and hurricanes.
- Injury or damage to a person or goods
- Striking submerged objects
- Fires and explosions
- Lightning damage
THIS BATTLE ALONE
There are three common types of maritime and marine insurance policies that cover most individuals and businesses. These policies include hull, cargo, and protection and indemnity (P&I) insurance.
- Hull – Hull insurance policies usually cover physical loss or damage to a vessel. Such coverage can be on an “all-risk” or “named perils” basis.
- Cargo – Cargo insurance policies generally cover physical loss of or damage to goods while the cargo is in transit. The policy may cover a single shipment of goods or multiple shipments over a specified period.
- Protection and Indemnity (P&I) – The P&I insurance policy covers the vessel owner’s liability resulting from their ownership of the insured vessel. Also, the policy provides coverage for bodily injury, death, or damages to building structures.
EXCLUSIONS THAT MAY LIMIT COVERAGE
Unfortunately, not every risk is covered by marine insurance policies. Some of the most common risks that are often not covered include:
- Ordinary leakage
- Inherent vice
- Civil commotion
- Willful misconduct
- Contamination from radioactive rays
- Insolvency of owners
- Insufficient, improper, or unsuitable packing
- Other exclusions that are included in your policy terms
THE CLAIMS PROCESS
Here are the general steps involved in recovering a marine insurance claim:
- Take adequate steps to reduce the damage or loss.
- Report the incident to your insurance provider as soon as you can.
- Gather the necessary documentation.
- Depending on where the damage occurred, arrange for a comprehensive joint port or ship survey.
- File your insurance claim within the specified time limit in your policy.
To ensure that you have followed all of these steps adequately, you should work with an experienced attorney who can help file your insurance claims or negotiate a fair settlement with the insurance provider.
HOW A KNOWLEDGEABLE INSURANCE COVERAGE ATTORNEY CAN HELP
Filing marine insurance claims often involves a lot of complex legal procedure. The investigators and insurance adjusters will only work to protect the bottom line of the insurance company. That is why it is so important that you hire a knowledgeable insurance coverage attorney to protect your legal rights and help you pursue your deserved compensation.
With more than a decade of experience representing clients on marine insurance claims, Attorney Jason McLaurin has the legal resources and skill to fight for your rights and advocate for your best interests. As your legal counsel, he will review and investigate every detail of your case, gather all necessary evidence and documentation, and handle all communications and negotiations with the insurer.
Through it all, attorney Jason McLaurin will fight diligently to protect your legal rights and do everything he can to help you pursue the maximum compensation that you are entitled to. He will protect you against any bad faith practices employed by the insurance companies and will not back down, no matter how big the opposition is. Do not face this battle alone. Contact McLaurin Law today to schedule your own free case consultation.
MARITIME & MARINE INSURANCE CLAIMS ATTORNEYS SERVING HOUSTON, TEXAS
If you want to make a claim with your marine insurance policy, contact McLaurin Law today to schedule a free case assessment. Attorney Jason McLaurin can offer you the detailed legal guidance, assistance, and compassionate representation you need to pursue your marine insurance claim. Jason is proud to serve clients throughout Houston, Texas, and the surrounding areas of Sugar Land, Baytown, Katy, and Pearland, Texas — so call today for reliable legal counsel!