• Get your FREE PDF instantly – Essential tips for homeowners!

    Download Now
  • We’re here to help you discover all your options and make decisions with confidence.

Schedule A Consultation
(713) 461-6500
(713) 461-6500

Passionately Protecting the Rights of Texans

Get The Legal Help You Need.
Schedule A Consultation

Commercial Insurance Claims Attorneys in Houston, Texas

If you’re planning to open a business in Texas, you will need to explore your options for Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance. CGL policies protect business owners against claims of liability for bodily injury, property damage, and personal and advertising injury (slander and false advertising).

CGL insurance, however, often comes with various exclusions and limitations, though it also offers the option of expanding coverage for excess liability and umbrella liability. What you purchase above and beyond a basic CGL policy might well offer the added protection you need when you need it most.

If you’re already operating a business, and you’ve made a claim against your CGL policy, and the insurer is stalling or denying your claim, you will need the help of an experienced commercial insurance liability attorney.

If you find yourself fighting your insurer for a CGL claim in or around Houston, Texas, or the surrounding areas of Sugar Land, Baytown, Katy, or Pearland, Texas, contact our firm, McLaurin Law. We know how to deal with the big insurers, and we can get past their stalling techniques to help you obtain the compensation you need and deserve.

What Is Commercial General Liability Insurance?

As mentioned above, CGL policies — also known as general liability insurance or business liability insurance — cover your business against third-party claims for personal injury, property damage, and legal actions arising from slander or false advertising.

Say someone is in your store and slips on a wet spot on the floor, falls backward, and injures their back. They have the right to come after you for medical expenses. CGL policies are designed to help you cover these expenses.

Likewise, if you’re moving a piece of heavy furniture around your store and you create deep scratches in the floor and cause dents in the walls, your landlord has the right to demand payment for the damages. Your CGL policy is there to help cover expenses like this as well.

Consider another example. Imagine that you create an advertising campaign comparing your services to those of a competitor, but the competitor says you went too far and sues you for slander. Your CGL policy can help cover any impending legal expenses from a lawsuit as well.

Excess Liability Riders & Umbrella Liability

Also, as mentioned above, you can expand the range of your CGL policy by purchasing an excess liability rider, which will help pay for covered losses that exceed your policy’s limit. You can also purchase umbrella liability that expands the types of claims that are covered (see exclusions below).

The CGL policy can also be one of two types — “occurrence” and “claims made.” Occurrence policies cover any injury or damage that occurs during the policy’s term, even if the claim is made after the expiration of the policy. Claims-made policies generally only cover incidents that both occur during the policy’s term and are reported during the policy’s term.

Denials and Delays

Your CGL insurer may deny your claim based on a number of exclusions contained within the policy, which we will discuss below. They may also deny your claim by asserting it is fraudulent, claiming it was filed outside the filing limit, claiming that it lacked relevant information, or claiming that you have exceeded your coverage limits. As for the filing time frame, each policy will state a time frame for reporting a claim. Some range as high as 120 days, while others are as low as 30 days.

Even if you don’t get an outright denial, insurers are notorious for using stalling tactics, constantly coming back for further information or clarifications. They have even been known to switch insurance claims adjusters on you in the middle of the process so that you are forced to start the process all over again. By delaying, the hope is that you will simply give up out of exasperation.

In any of these situations, you will need the help of an experienced commercial liability insurance claims attorney who knows how to stand up to the insurers’ “bad faith” tactics and other techniques that they use to avoid liability.

Exclusions in Cgl Policies

Reading the fine print on any insurance policy, including the section that lists what’s not covered, is always important. Typically, CGL policies will exclude claims that are:

  • Caused by Your Own Work – For example, if you construct a brick wall and it collapses, your policy will not cover it.
  • Intentional – The policyholder intentionally causes property damage or bodily injury.
  • Contractual – The insured assumed the liability of another in a contract or agreement.
  • Liquor-Based – If the insured’s business sells alcohol, the insurer may exclude coverage if damage or injury results from liquor usage.
  • Pollution-Caused – If a discharge of pollutants from the premises causes bodily injury, that will be excluded.
  • Goods or Services that Fail to Perform as Advertised – if goods sold or services rendered do not live up to advertised standards, no coverage is available.
  • Infringing on A Patent, Trademark, or Trade Secret – if the insured infringes on others’ intellectual property, coverage is excluded.

Work with a Firm that Understands Commercial Insurance Claims

At the end of the day, the old phrase, buyer beware applies, especially when you’re shopping for Commercial General Liability (CGL) insurance. Not only are there exclusions, but there are also limitations and caps on payouts. Be sure you obtain a policy that covers what you perceive to be potential liabilities.

Even if you get the policy of your choice with all the inclusions and features you want, insurance companies will still likely try to delay or deny any claim you make. The adjuster assigned to your case may try to get you to say or admit to something that can be used against you and your claim.

Luckily, you don’t have to face these challenges alone. With an experienced commercial insurance claims attorney on your side, you can be sure that your rights will be protected and that you won’t be taken advantage of by the insurance company. If you or someone you know is facing an issue with an insurance claim, don’t wait. Call or reach out to our firm, McLaurin Law, today for reliable legal guidance and representation.

Commercial Insurance Claims Attorneys in Houston, Texas

It’s always a good idea to let a knowledgeable and experienced insurance claims attorney handle negotiations for you. Our legal team is very familiar with all of the insurers’ techniques and tactics and know-how to counter them. If you’re in the process of making a claim — or you’ve made one and have been met with resistance — contact our office immediately. We proudly serve clients in Houston, Texas, and the surrounding areas of Sugar Land, Baytown, Katy, and Pearland, Texas, so call today to schedule your own case consultation.

Ask A Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request A Consultation

Call (713) 461-6500 or fill out the short form below. We will respond within 1 business day. Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.
Main Contact Form
* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Questions Or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (713) 461-6500

Why Choose McLaurin Law?

Consultations: Whenever you need legal advice, McLaurin Law offers consultations for free. Depending on the circumstances of your case, our lawyers are happy to allot a 30-minute free consultation and strategy session.
Insider Advantage: Our lead attorney, Jason C. McLaurin, has previously worked as an insider for insurance companies. His experience in the industry allows him to guide clients in choosing comprehensive insurance policies and exploring strategies in case of denied claims.
Years of Experience: Since 2017, McLaurin Law has served hundreds of clients in Houston, Texas. The firm focuses on commercial and insurance laws and handles personal injury cases, ranging from road accidents to maritime liabilities.
Available 24/7: Legal troubles can arise at any day or time. McLaurin Law has your back if you need legal advice in the wee hours of Sunday. Our lines are open 24/7, and you can book a consultation online.

Questions Or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (713) 461-6500

Related Practice Areas

Learn More

Frequestly Ask Questions

Should I Take What the Insurance Company Offers Me?

Typically, the answer to this is absolutely not. Insurance companies are looking out for their own best interests and will try to get you to settle for an offer that is far below what you deserve. At McLaurin Law, we can help you seek an appropriate settlement.

What's the Time Limit for Filing a Claim?

After an accident, you should typically file a claim with the insurance provider of the negligent party who is responsible for your accident. It is important that you move with haste in filing a personal injury claim with the insurance carrier after an injury has occurred. Should a lawsuit eventually become necessary, it is also important to keep in mind that in the state of Texas, you must file a personal injury lawsuit within two years of the date the injury occurred.

Theft And Vandalism Claims

FAQS About Theft And Vandalism Claims

Below are some frequently asked questions about Theft and Vandalism Claims:

What is the difference between vandalism and theft, and how might it affect my claim?

Commercial insurance policies often cover losses due to vandalism, or the intentional destruction or defacement of property, but will not cover theft or burglary losses. This can be particularly complicated in cases where vandalism leads to the theft of certain items on the premises.

Homeowners’ and renters’ insurance policies generally cover vandalism and theft for residential properties. If you own your home, your homeowners’ policy will cover damage to the structure and your contents or personal belongings. If you rent your home, the property owner’s policy will cover damage to the property, while your renters’ insurance will cover your personal belongings inside the home.

Can my insurance company adjust my coverage based on my risk?

Insurers often don’t like paying claims for damages sustained by their policyholders. They may assess the risks associated with your home or business location and income levels and adjust their coverage limits, so they have a decreased responsibility to pay for damages due to theft or vandalism.

For commercial policyholders, your insurance company may require you to minimize the risk of vandalism or theft. Your insurance company could require you to install security cameras and devices, advanced locking systems, and appropriate lighting. Your insurance company could still require higher coverage limits if your business is in an area that reports an increased number of thefts or vandalism.

Why did my insurance company deny my theft or vandalism claim?

There are several reasons your insurance company might deny a claim. A vandalism and theft attorney from our office can help you review your policy and claim denial to determine the following:

  • Whether you can prove you owned the items listed in your claim
  • Whether you can prove that a break-in led to the vandalism or theft
  • Whether you know the value of the items taken or the damage caused
  • Whether you took proper preventive measures
  • Whether you have appropriate business interruption coverage in your policy (for commercial property owners)

How can a theft and vandalism insurance lawyer help me file and manage my claim?

A theft and vandalism lawyer with our firm can help you determine which losses listed in your policy best fit the situation and file the appropriate evidence for your claim. Your theft and vandalism claims attorney can also speak with the insurance adjusters on your behalf. Call us at (713) 461-6500 when you need more than luck!

Wind And Hail Damage Claims

FAQS About Wind And Hail Damage Claims

Below are some frequently asked questions about Wind and Hail Damage Claims:

What do I need to file a wind or hail damage claim with my insurance company?

You will need evidence that the damage your home sustained came from wind or hail.

Common signs of wind and hail damage include:

  • Lifted, torn, broken, or missing shingles
  • Fallen tree limbs or uprooted trees
  • Impact strike marks from hail
  • Dents from hail, especially on metal roofing features or vinyl siding or fencing
  • Broken windows from debris strikes
  • Broken or loose gutters and downspouts

Get an inspection if you suspect your home sustained damage during a recent storm. Roofing contractors with certifications in home inspections will often be willing to mark and take photos of the damage they identify during inspection of your home and roof. A wind and hail damage attorney with our firm can use their reports to fight for approval of your claim with your insurance company.

How can a Houston wind damage lawyer help me manage my claim after a storm?

Call our McLaurin Law wind claims attorney if your home shows signs of wind damage after a hurricane, tropical system, or particularly windy day. We can help you file your claim with your insurance company and represent you when the insurance company’s claims adjuster has additional questions.

Many insurance companies try to deny or underpay claims based on arbitrary rebuttals. For example, if you have both wind and hail damage, they may reject a portion of the claim because you filed a wind claim.

How can a hail damage lawyer help me get my roof repaired or replaced?

Hail damage often affects roofs more than any other part of the home. Sometimes hail only damages part of a roof, requiring a simple repair. Other times, you’ll have enough roof damage to require a full roof replacement. A McLaurin Law attorney can work closely with your roofer and insurance company to fight for full claim approval.

What if my insurance company still denies my claim?

Insurance companies often deny claims despite ample evidence of legitimate storm damage. When this happens, the next step is to file a lawsuit against the insurance company with the guidance of a wind and hail damage claims attorney. If your insurance company denies your claim, contact us. Call McLaurin Law in Houston, TX, at (713) 461-6500 when you need more than luck!

What Should I Do after an Injury?

Your number one priority should be your well-being. Seek out medical advice as soon as possible to ensure that you get the treatment you need. You should also move quickly to consult with an attorney to assist you with your personal injury claim. Critical events occur early in the personal injury claims process—such as interviews with adjusters and early damages assessments—so do not delay speaking with an attorney.

View All FAQs

Questions Or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (713) 461-6500

Learning Center

Browse our growing library of multimedia educational content to better understand the rules and processes involved in your Texas injury case or insurance claim. Review the items relevant to your issue, and let us know your questions.



Contact McLaurin Law, PLLC

Schedule a consultation with McLaurin Law, PLLC if you have an insurance issue, or if you have suffered an injury or property damage in Texas. We will review your personal injury case, assess your insurance claim or appeal, address your questions, and strategize paths to seek fair compensation. We aggressively pursue our clients’ interests, armed with an insider’s perspective on Texas insurance claims. Call our office or fill out our online form to get started.
Texas Trial Lawyers Association - Professional AssociationsHouston Bar Association 1870 - Professional AssociationsState Bar Of Texas - Professional AssociationsTexas Bar Foundation - Professional Associations

Ask A Question,
Describe Your Situation,
Request A Consultation

Call (713) 461-6500 or fill out the short form below. We will respond within 1 business day. Don’t hesitate, your questions are welcome.
Main Contact Form
* Required Fields
Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Questions Or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (713) 461-6500

Real Clients, Real Testimonials

Read More Testimonials

Professional Associations

Texas Trial Lawyers Association - Professional AssociationsHTLA - Professional AssociationsHouston Bar Association 1870 - Professional AssociationsNBI - National Business Institute - Professional-AssociationsTexas Bar Foundation - Professional AssociationsInsurance Law Section State Bar of TexasState Bar Of Texas - Professional Associations

Newsletter Sign Up

Sign up today to receive timely articles and preparation reminders that can reinforce your safety and prevent future difficulties with insurance companies. We’ll help you plan ahead and know your rights, and we’re here to fight for you in Texas if disaster strikes.
Subscription Form

* Required Fields

Your Information Is Safe With Us

We respect your privacy. The information you provide will be used to answer your question or to schedule an appointment if requested.

Questions Or Schedule An Appointment?

Call (713) 461-6500

Hours of Operation

Office Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Available by Phone: 24/7

Whether you are recovering from a personal injury or attempting to recover compensation with an insurance coverage claim or appeal, our legal team will vigorously advocate on your behalf.
Personal Injury and Insurance Law Attorneys in Houston, TX
© Copyrights 2024. McLaurin Law PLLC. All Rights Reserved.
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship