• Get your FREE PDF instantly – Essential tips for homeowners!

    Download Now
  • We’re here to help you discover all your options and make decisions with confidence.

Schedule A Consultation
(713) 461-6500
(713) 461-6500
June 21, 2023
Jason McLaurin

Drunk Driving Accidents

Schedule A Consultation
Read Full Post

FAQs About Drunk Driving Accidents

Below are some frequently asked questions about Drunk Driving Accidents:

What Happens In A Drunk Driving Personal Injury Case?

Your drunk driving accident attorney can help you navigate the complex case structure for your personal injury claim against a driver who is also facing criminal charges for drunk driving. You can file an insurance claim with the drunk driver’s insurance company or a legal claim in civil court to seek compensation for your injuries.

You may also be able to hold a third party responsible for your injuries, such as the bar that served a patron too much alcohol or served an underage driver. If a young driver received alcohol at a party, you might be able to pursue compensation for your injuries from the parent hosting underage drinkers.

Should I File A Police Report After Being Hit By A Drunk Driver?

Yes. Always file a police report after an accident. If you notice signs of impairment at the scene, report your observations to the police. Watch for attempts to dispose of alcohol containers or for a passenger attempting to switch with the impaired driver. An insurance company will use the police report to understand the accident events in your claim better.

Can I File Civil Or Criminal Charges Against A Drunk Driver Who Hits Me?

You can file civil charges against an impaired driver who hits you. The jurisdiction will file criminal charges if they gather evidence that the driver was operating their vehicle under the influence. Your personal injury lawyer may be able to use a criminal conviction for DUI/DWI in your favor when arguing for your personal injury claim in court.

How Can A Houston Drunk Driving Accident Lawyer Help My Injury Case?

An experienced Houston car accident lawyer can help your case by recreating the events of the accident to help a jury understand the negligence and liability of the impaired driver and third parties responsible for your injuries.

Texas is a modified comparative negligence state with a 51% bar. This means that if you share liability for your injuries, the court will reduce your award by that percentage, up to 50%. You will not receive compensation if you are more than 50% liable. A drunk driving accidents attorney with our firm can help you build your case, so a court doesn’t reduce your award more than you are liable. Call us at (713) 461-6500 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free strategy session.

Copyright © 2023. McLaurin Law, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.
McLaurin Law, PLLC

4544 Post Oak Place Dr
Suite 350 Houston, TX 77027

(713) 461-6500http://mdlawtex.wpenginepowered.com/

Related Services

Hours of Operation

Office Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Available by Phone: 24/7

Whether you are recovering from a personal injury or attempting to recover compensation with an insurance coverage claim or appeal, our legal team will vigorously advocate on your behalf.
Personal Injury and Insurance Law Attorneys in Houston, TX
© Copyrights 2024. McLaurin Law PLLC. All Rights Reserved.
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship