• Get your FREE PDF instantly – Essential tips for homeowners!

    Download Now
  • We’re here to help you discover all your options and make decisions with confidence.

Schedule A Consultation
(713) 461-6500
(713) 461-6500
October 14, 2020
Jason McLaurin

Understanding Slip and Fall Claims

Schedule A Consultation
Read Full Post

Goes the Homeowner Have Insurance?

Slip and fall injuries are some of the most common injuries of all. They can happen any time, and to anyone—and when they do, it can be challenging to know what to do. For example, what if you visit a restaurant, slip and fall, and sustain a significant injury? Will the property owner’s insurance policy cover the cost of your medical care—and if not, what are your other options?

Does the Landowner Have Insurance?

The first question you would need to answer is whether the property owner has insurance. The good news is that the majority of homeowners and businessowners have insurance in place. In fact, mortgage companies require homeowners insurance as a way to protect their investment in the home. But ultimately, the only way to find out for sure whether the property owner is insured is to ask.

Timing Is Critical

If there is an insurance policy in place, you will want to report your claim right away. Simply ask the property owner who their insurer is, and if you think there is any chance at all that your injury is a serious one, make a claim. The longer you wait to report your injury, the more suspicious the insurance company will be that your injuries resulted from something other than your visit to the subject property—and the harder it will be for you to have the claim resolved in your favor.

What If the Property Owner Is Reluctant?

In some cases, you may find that the property owner does not want to tell you the name of their insurance company. For example, the landowner may be concerned about increased insurance premiums due to a new claim. If you slip and fall on someone’s property and cannot find out who the property insurance company is, you may have no recourse but to sue the landowner. Ask an attorney for help formulating your case.

The Claims Process

In some ways, filing a slip and fall insurance claim is similar to filing a claim after a car accident. Once you report your injury, the insurance company will dispatch an adjuster to determine what happened. The adjuster will likely want to talk with the property owner as well as the injured party to get both sides of the story before making their assessment.

We recommend you work with an attorney before giving any kind of statement to an insurance company. In fact, it may be beneficial to have the attorney in the room or on the phone with you to represent you in these matters.

The insurance adjuster will try to collect as much information as possible regarding your claim including any medical records you have related to the accident. Be sure to keep careful documentation of your medical and other expenses.

The Role of Negligence

Texas is a comparative fault state, so in order to succeed on your claim, you will need to show that the landowner was more than fifty percent responsible for the accident. If you trip over your own shoelaces, that is not the property owner’s fault. But if the premises are improperly maintained and therefore unsafe, that might mean you are entitled to compensation from the landowner’s insurance company.

Some common examples of negligence include:

  • Poorly maintained or poorly lit stairs
  • Poorly maintained rugs, carpet, or flooring
  • Premises not adequately cleaned or maintained
  • Uneven pavement or cracks in the sidewalk

Get Help in Your Slip and Fall Case

If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, our Houston attorneys can evaluate your case and advise on the best way to proceed. Contact McLaurin Law to find out more.

To Speak with McLaurin law Representative call today.

Copyright © 2023. McLaurin Law, PLLC. All Rights Reserved.
The information in this blog post (“post”) is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author or the law firm, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting based on any information included in or accessible through this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country, or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
McLaurin Law, PLLC

4544 Post Oak Place Dr
Suite 350 Houston, TX 77027

(713) 461-6500http://mdlawtex.wpenginepowered.com/

Related Services

Hours of Operation

Office Hours: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM

Available by Phone: 24/7

Whether you are recovering from a personal injury or attempting to recover compensation with an insurance coverage claim or appeal, our legal team will vigorously advocate on your behalf.
Personal Injury and Insurance Law Attorneys in Houston, TX
© Copyrights 2024. McLaurin Law PLLC. All Rights Reserved.
The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship