FAQs About Maritime Law
Below are some frequently asked questions about Maritime Law:
Do I Need a Houston Maritime Attorney?
You don’t have to hire a maritime lawyer if you have been injured offshore, but it’s usually in your interest to do so. Maritime injury cases can be complex, often involving state and federal regulations. Maritime law is an area of personal injury with unique legal complexities. Not all lawyers have knowledge or experience in it, but those who focus on maritime law can handle these cases effectively on behalf of their clients.
We have many years of experience handling maritime accident claims and protecting the rights of seamen at McLaurin Law. A Houston maritime work injury lawyer from our team can review your case, explain your options, and support you if you seek compensation.
Am I Eligible For Compensation Under The Jones Act?
If you are a maritime worker and suffered injuries offshore while on the job, you may be able to sue your employer for damages under the federal Merchant Marine Act of 1920, also known as the Jones Act.
To qualify, you must spend at least 30% of your working time on a vessel in navigation. The law considers vessels to be in navigation if they are:
- Capable of moving
- In operation and afloat
- On navigable waters
Are There Other Avenues For Compensation Other Than The Jones Act?
The Jones Act isn’t the only federal law that protects injured maritime workers. Other offshore injury laws include:
- The Outer Continental Shelf Lands Act: This law provides workers’ compensation benefits to certain offshore workers.
- The Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act: The Longshore Act provides medical and rehabilitation compensation for workers who load, unload, or build ships.
- The Death on the High Seas Act: Under this law, bereaved families can seek compensation for loved ones who died at sea.
An experienced maritime lawyer from our team at McLaurin Law can review your case and explain which laws apply and what avenues of redress may be open to you.
What Maritime Cases Can You Assist Clients With?
At McLaurin Law, we help clients with a range of maritime injury cases, including:
- Falls overboard
- Repetitive use injuries
- Commercial fishing accidents
- Commercial shipping accidents
- Chemical exposure from toxic cargo
- Slip-and-fall accidents on passenger vessels
- Injuries involving equipment, such as cranes or forklifts, when working on or near navigable waters
Maritime law is complicated, but an experienced Houston maritime attorney can explain your options and protect your interests. Call us at (713) 461-6500 or fill out our contact form to schedule a free strategy session with a maritime lawyer from our team at McLaurin Law.